In 1956 Polaris built their first snowmobile. The original design concept was a steel boat hull cab made to plow or float through the snow. The full length wooden skis were for floatation. The rear winch system was used to raise the track and chassis when stuck in deep snow. This design was their mainstay until 1964-1965 with the introduction of the Comet and then the Mustang. This model utilized a 9.6hp Clinton motor.
This sled was purchased by RJ Beech from the Earl brothers in Blaney, MI in 1957. He used it for 4 or 5 years to go from the Toonerville Trolley to check the boats that go to the Tahquamenon Falls. He sold it to Kenny Clare in 1962 or 1963. Kenny used it for one year and parked it on a snowbank and sold it to the current owner, Paul Williams of Engadine, MI for $75 in 1965.
Top of the Lake Snowmobile Museum
P.O. Box 2
Naubinway, MI 49762
Hours: 906 477-6298
Appointment: 906 477 6192
Copyright © 2009 - 2021 Top of the Lake Snowmobile Museum. All rights reserved.